The Slice tool splits two overlapping images or text into different parts. Slice creates new cut paths from two images, resulting in three or more completely new shapes. Each of the new shapes will show up in the Layers panel as an individual layer.
- You can use the Slice tool to cut out a shape from another shape, cut overlapping shapes from one another, or to cut text from a shape.
- When using Slice with images, you can only work with two layers at one time.
- If you are using a multilayered image, you can either hide or ungroup the other layers to activate the Slice tool.
- When the Slice function is performed with hidden layers, all hidden layers will be removed from the design screen and the Layers panel.
- If you would like to use those image layers with your project, ungroup before using the Slice tool.