Several factors are considered when setting the age grade for a product.
The CPSC "Guidelines for Relating Children's Ages to Toy Characteristics"
- Whether or not the item contains small parts in the "as received state"
- Size and weight of the of the item: small, lightweight to grasp and carry
- The theme: represents common objects easily identified by the child
- Degree of realism
- Type and level of skill required
- The manufacturers stated intent: such as a label if it is a reasonable one
- The article is generally recognized as being intended for children under 3 years
- Advertising, promotion, and marketing
- The own evaluation of the product to children's physical and developmental stages